As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    He also has a habit of killing characters who people tend to like or who totally didn't have it coming.

Though Coulson's "death" wasn't his idea.

And the above Whedonism is extra cringy (see?) because Halle Berry didn't even read it correctly. It was supposed to be flippant and dismissive, not serious and foreboding.

Whedon helped write Speed's dialogue and rewrote a lot of the characters. Keanu Reeves in that was supposed to be a maverick hot shot, then Whedon made him more polite, and Alan Ruck was supposed to be a sleazy lawyer who dies on the bus, but Whedon also changed him into a friendly and hapless tourist.
    Jeff Daniels was supposed to live as well but then Whedon changed that, too

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    Everyone gives him shit over this line but he also wrote the amazing "You're a dick." Line

right, but when a line is awesome, nobody calls it a whedonism

• Options
    it appears Geth is Whedonite

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Everyone gives him shit over this line but he also wrote the amazing "You're a dick." Line

True, because he writes plenty of other good stuff too.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Give me a run down on Whedonisms.

Only stuff of his I know is Firefly, Astonishing X-Men and Avengers. The one thing I hear most about is "girl power" I guess but its one of those things I don't notice.

There's also Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse, which is probably his most inconsistent (I'm being nice) show.

Joss was the showrunner for Buffy (until seasons 6 & 7), Angel and Firefly. Jed and Maurissa were Dollhouse showrunners, Whedon helped create the concept for Eliza Dushku and was a consultant - similar to what he's doing with SHIELD. Jed and Maurissa are SHIELD's showrunners.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

exactly

I'm not meaning to come off as anti-Whedon or anything

what I'm saying is that lines that whedon likes to write blend in when done well and stick out like a sore thumb when they fail

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Only stuff of his I know is Firefly, Astonishing X-Men and Avengers. The one thing I hear most about is "girl power" I guess but its one of those things I don't notice.

There's also Buffy, Angel, and Dollhouse, which is probably his most inconsistent (I'm being nice) show.

Joss was the showrunner for Buffy (until seasons 6 & 7), Angel and Firefly. Jed and Maurissa were Dollhouse showrunners, Whedon helped create the concept for Eliza Dushku and was a consultant - similar to what he's doing with SHIELD. Jed and Maurissa are SHIELD's showrunners.

Well that doesn't make me feel any better

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Dollhouse was also extremely high concept, and from everything I heard it had a ton of meddling going on.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

exactly

I'm not meaning to come off as anti-Whedon or anything

what I'm saying is that lines that whedon likes to write blend in when done well and stick out like a sore thumb when they fail

he certainly does have an overall style that can grate for some. his characters can talk a bit too clever-by-half

Nuzak on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Nerd bait?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Joss Whedon is the poor man's Shane Black, is basically my position

His dialogue works better in word bubbles than it does coming out of a real human being's mouth

Astonishing X-Men was pretty good, as I recall

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Dollhouse was also extremely high concept, and from everything I heard it had a ton of meddling going on.

The original plot was rejected, and the first 6 or so episodes of what eventually aired ended up covering essentially the same ground.

Seriously, the original plot took 30 minutes to fully explain the sci-fi, introduce the characters, and reveal the first problem. The show that aired took 3 hours and added a bunch of extraneous stuff and one-off stories.

Yeah, lots of meddling on that show. I'm hoping that since SHIELD is coming from an established continuity, they don't have to worry about set-up too much.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

His dialogue works better in word bubbles than it does coming out of a real human being's mouth
    normally i agree but avengers is my favorite movie of all time
    it's not the best movie of all time but it's my favorite

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

going just off most recent output

I vastly prefer Whedon's dialogue in Avengers to Black's in IM3

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

normally i agree but avengers is my favorite movie of all time
    it's not the best movie of all time but it's my favorite

I really really liked it when I first watched it

And with every subsequent viewing I see little bits of Whedon poking through and I like it less

To the point where I don't want to watch it anymore because I don't want to hate that movie

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think Whedon and his Whedonisms are things you either really like or really don't, and that there's not a lot of middle ground.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The worst Whedonism in Avengers is "I have a plan... attack!", the rest are pretty tolerable.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

i thought black only directed IM3
    if he wrote it too hooo boy
    Ceno wrote: »
    The worst Whedonism in Avengers is "I have a plan... attack!", the rest are pretty tolerable.

nah black widow's line after Tony brings the space whale their way is worse

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think the toad/lightning line was a case of really poor delivery rather than it being a bad line.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

he has shared screenplay credit with Drew Pearce.

• Options
    welp. harrumph.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

He co-wrote it with Drew Pearce.

I liked it. The Whedonisms are why the movie is so good IMO.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

what was that, again?

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I do always chuckle in appreciation at Thor's line "I'm here to put an end to Loki's schemes!"

Because goddamn if that isn't the hammiest of hamfisted funnybook cartoon dialogue and Chris Hemsworth digs his heels in and just commits to it like hell.

• Options

Always hated this line

Always will

Holy shit it's the worst

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    http://neuromorphogenesis.tumblr.com/post/48776082725/humans-feel-empathy-for-robots-fmri-scans-show
    A recent study by researchers at the University of Duisburg Essen in Germany found that humans have similar brain function when shown images of affection and violence being inflicted on robots and humans.
    SUCK IT

what was that, again?
    Then tell him to suit up... I'm bringing the party to you.
    Cue leviathan
    I, I don't see how that's a party...

• Options
    I think Whedon'd writing is quirky and fun though I can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

However, there are people who get unreasonably upset about it and those people make me laugh because chill out bro.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    http://neuromorphogenesis.tumblr.com/post/48776082725/humans-feel-empathy-for-robots-fmri-scans-show
    A recent study by researchers at the University of Duisburg Essen in Germany found that humans have similar brain function when shown images of affection and violence being inflicted on robots and humans.
    SUCK IT

what was that, again?
    Cue leviathan

that doesn't strike me as a bad line

like, it isn't clever

but it's the sort of thing someone who's just become scared shitless but is trying to maintain an appearance of confidence would say

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm actually more confident in the Whedon crew's ability to do a TV show set in the Marvel universe than I was in their ability to make an Avengers movie. This kind of show is pretty much right in the Whedon wheelhouse.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    webster's dictionary defines a whedonism as "pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses"

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    heh

I liked that line actually

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    SUCK IT

what was that, again?
    Cue leviathan

that doesn't strike me as a bad line

like, it isn't clever

but it's the sort of thing someone who's just become scared shitless but is trying to maintain an appearance of confidence would say

For me that line just breaks the whole flow of the scene

It's a dead stop, I found it cheesy but acceptable in the trailer but in the actual movie it feels even more scripted.

Personally an example of a good line with similar purpose that I found a lot funnier was
    ...It seems to run on some form of electricity!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I personally really hope that character from Agents of SHIELD isn't Luke Cage.

Cause if you are going to do Luke Cage I'd prefer it on the silver-screen.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The "I have a plan...attack." is probably the only line in the movie that I actively dislike

"That doesn't look like a party" isn't great, but it also isn't offensively awful or anything

• Options
    avengers dialogue spoilers, yes i'm doing it deal with it
    i would've preferred the scene without black widow's line, tony's line about bringing the party to them was fine on its own

the black widow line smacked of joss whedon trying to be clever and funny to me

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I think my favourite one was, you and I remember Istanbul very differently.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Budapest.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

Budapest.
    that's nobody's business but the turks

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So, I personally really hope that character from Agents of SHIELD isn't Luke Cage.

Cause if you are going to do Luke Cage I'd prefer it on the silver-screen.

I would imagine that Luke Cage showing up would be partially to create a bigger fan base for the character and do a movie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Though to be completely fair, I am also guilty of getting unreasonably upset at something trivial in entertainment. I absolutely loathe the art in any and all Klasky Csupo animation.

BLM - ACAB
This discussion has been closed.